Water heaters act like the heart of your home, connected to all parts of the house through “veins” of piping. Bringing in water from the city supply, just as we bring in oxygen and food for energy, the water heater literally heats the water up and sends it on its way to the necessary fixtures in your home. An important difference between water heaters and hearts is that your home can survive without heated water, while your body cannot survive without the vital organ. That being said, living without heated water is not something anyone should have to go through for long periods of time. Below is a quick list of 5 Facts that will prep you with water heater knowledge and make life easier for you as a homeowner!
- First thing first, know what your water heater looks like and where it is in your home! Conventional water heaters are typically cylindrical, sit on the floor, and are often placed in a utility room. Tankless water heaters are not cylindrical, they are a “box” and are often times wall hung, also often placed in a utility room or closet. Knowing where your water heater is and what kind of water heater it is will not only help you with its upkeep but also will help you and us, your trusted Sweet Plumber, when hot water concerns occur!
- Have you ever run out of hot water mid-shower? Is your hot water supply impacted when you run your dishwasher? More than likely, your water heater has run out of heated water, meaning that the rate at which the tank can heat its supply cannot keep up the rate at which you are using it. Typical tank sizes for single-family homes are around 40 or 50 gallons and can take 30-45 minutes to heat up when out of hot water. Water heaters can be either gas or electric, and you should be able to tell if the hook up looks like electrical cords or gas piping. Variations in water heater type, such as tankless and electric heaters, can either extend or shorten heat-up times. There are different benefits of the various types, as well as different means through which they can each be installed. Our technicians would be more than happy to discuss them with you when out to your home! If interested, give us a call at 402-298-5414!
- The age of your water heater is also important to know! Most traditional water heaters are designed to last from 7-12 years, while tankless water heaters can more easily reach 20 years. If you are interested in finding out the age of the equipment, look around the outside of the tank and there should be a sticker with production and installation information, including the heater’s age. Existing customers of American Rooter Plumbing may also have a sticker we put on the tank with our information and when we installed or serviced it. Feel free to call us with any questions about the age of your home’s water heater: 402-298-5414.
- There are many common issues with water heaters and some that can be seriously threatening to your home and your family, so it is important to do regular checks of the system. Leaks from water heaters are one of the most common issues and should be dealt with as soon as possible. Leaks from water lines will cause corrosion and potential damage to the line, shut off valves, meters, and other plumbing modifications, as well as to adjacent electrical connections. Leaking from the base of the water heater can signal pressure issues that can turn serious and could cause the heater to explode (although this is rare). If you notice leaking, call us as soon as possible at 402-298-5414 and we will get out to deal with the issue promptly. Other issues with water heaters have to do with hot water supply and the quality of water. These issues are the consequence of hard minerals in the water that can cause build up in supply lines, faucets, and fixtures, restricting hot water flow. This issue is more of an inconvenience but can turn into a costly project quickly if not dealt with through water treatment options or replaced piping & fixtures. We do it all, so if you are concerned, call us!
- Maintenance and proper usage help to extend the longevity of the equipment, and American Rooter Plumbing’s Sweet Service Club Annual Maintenance is the perfect opportunity to make sure everything is looking as it should! Many times, when water heaters go out due to old age, their failure happens gradually and you can notice the temperature change. If this is the case, give us a call at 402-298-5414! We stock high-quality equipment to ensure parts and warranties last! You never want to be in a situation where you and your family are without hot water, especially in the winter months. It is our goal to best equip you with means for plumbing resolution in times of need, whether that is providing you with Sweet Club maintenance work or supplying you a new heater!
Healthy hearts foster a longer life on average for humans, healthy water heaters do the same for your home! Knowing this simple information about your water heater- its location, age, type, and condition- will keep you from finding yourself in a situation where you are stuck without hot water for extended periods of time. Furthermore, keeping American Rooter Plumbing in mind for all your plumbing needs makes those less-than-desirable plumbing situations a little less stressful. We’re here to help, so call us for all your plumbing needs: 402-298-5414.